Monday, November 8, 2010

Job in Allergy

Day #8 - Some say that "variety is the spice of life." And I'd be one of the first to agree. Today I am most thankful for my job in allergy. This morning, I did two skin tests to environmental agents, one skin test to 60 different foods, a breathing test to diagnosis asthma, an injection of a VERY expensive medication to control asthma, and an olfactory (smell) test. Every day is so different and we never quite know what's going to walk through our door. Tomorrow I'll be administering flu vaccines to patient's who are either egg allergic or have had a previous reaction to a flu vaccine, more breathing tests, and testing a patient to five different bee venoms. It's absolutely fascinating and there is so much to learn, but that's what makes it so exciting and rewarding. There is so much variety that I can't imagine ever getting bored! I love meeting new people and most of our patients have incredible life stories. I have an amazing group of skilled nurses to work beside and for that I am thankful. I can still work part-time and carrying benefits and for that I am thankful. My supervisor is flexible and understanding when I ask for a day off to attend Amaya's conferences - in fact, she encourages it! This job is an absolute answer to prayer and a huge blessing in my life and for that - I am thankful!