Sunday, November 7, 2010

Extra shift, laundry, and Lowell

Day #6 - Already I missed a day! I knew it was bound to happen because of an already crazy schedule... Anyway, yesterday I was very thankful for another shift in the Flu Clinic. I'm thankful that God continues to provide opportunities for me to pick up extra shifts and add to our income. I was dreading another day giving shots only because my last experience was absolute chaos, confusion and frustration. Much to my relief, I felt much more comfortable with the charting, billing, and handling restless, crying, screaming, kids dreading a shot. I received quite a few compliments from parents about being quick and painless with the administration of the vaccine, so I was feeling pretty good by the end of the day. We ended up giving over 1800 shots in less than 8 hours! I have one more shift in December and for that I'm thankful.

I was also very thankful to come home and find that my dear, sweet husband washed, dried, and folded our week's worth of laundry! He volunteered to take over laundry duties a couple of weeks ago, so I've enjoyed not having to deal with the mountain of laundry every week. Thank you over and over again!

Day #7 - Today we are celebrating my father-in-law's birthday and I am so thankful for him! He is a wonderful Dad to Steve, a wonderful father-in-law to me, and an even more wonderful Grandpa to Amaya. Steve found an amazing card that accurately reflects the characteristics that we value so much in him... And so... since I'm not as eloquent as Hallmark... I'll close with what the card says:

"When I think about a man who has a deep and quiet soul - who works for what his family needs, take pleasure in his role... When I think about a man who's had big challenges to face, I think about my dad, about his dignity and grace. When I think about a man who in his daily life reveals so much strength and tenderness and depth in what he feels... When I think about a man who always gives the best he can, I think about my dad, my lifelong hero. A good man. You've given so much of yourself so often, without expecting anything in return. You're the best father anyone could ever have, and you're loved more than words can say."

And so, I'm thankful for Lowell who warmly welcomed me into his family and who considers me his daughter. Thank you for the man that you are!