Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Steve

Day #2 - I am thankful for my husband of almost 6 years! Steve is my long-awaited answer to prayers. For as long as I can remember... from those boy-crazy years between kindergarten (yes, kindergarten) all the way through college and beyond... I wanted to be married. Both my sister and brother got married shortly after college and I expected the same for me. But it didn't happen. I had my hopes set pretty high in college only to find my heart shattered in smithereens. I couldn't stand for my heart to be broken or trampled on again, so I prayed that God would spare me the pain and keep all guys away from me UNLESS I was going to marry him. And so the search for Mr. Right continued. As a new nurse, I thought maybe I'd marry a doctor. Maybe I'd meet someone at church. Maybe one of my old flames from college would come to their senses and realize that they were wrong. Or maybe... on a quiet night shift at work, my friend would sign me up on an internet dating website (Match.com) and for only $19.95 I would finally meet the man of my dreams. After countless prayers and petitions, I met Steve 3 months later (and $59.85 plus tax poorer), and the rest is happily ever after!

Steve is my answered prayer. Steve is my rock, my comfort, my laughter, my joy. God knew that I needed him just as much as he needed me. Looking back, God knew that I just needed to have a little patience and He would be faithful in picking out the best person for me. I'm so glad I waited for him!

What I admire most about Steve is his heart. God knew that there was so much more in store for Steve than the four walls of his cubicle at Pemstar. God knew that there were people in this world who needed to be touched by Steve. I see evidence in that every day when Steve comes home from his internship. Steve genuinely cares for and helps those that others would turn their back against and ridicule. Amaya and I just read the Bible story about the sick man left on the road and how several others had seen him and instead of helping him said, "He's not my neighbor. I won't help him." Steve is like that last man... he saw the sick man... picked him up... took care of his wounds... carried him toward help. And this is why I married Steve... because of his heart. And this is why I am so thankful to be able to be called his wife.