Sunday, April 15, 2012

Menu Planning

Ever since Amaya was born, I've wanted to develop some type of easy monthly menu plan, but nothing has ever seemed to really work. And starting from scratch every week seems like reinventing the wheel. Until... pinterest --- seriously, for those of you who enjoy food, recipes, crafts, DIY, gardening, exercise, traveling, books, movies, home decorating and improvement, organizing, gift ideas, clothes, etc. Check out pinterest - it will change your life and suck up your precious time - but from my perspective - it's been a great way to organize what I like and am interested in on the web. Anyway... each weekvaries with my work schedule so a monthly planner didn't fit our needs and because I get home around 5:30, making a meal from scratch and eating at a reasonable hour just isn't feasible. Until.... My Menu Board!

Amaya and I had a blast at Hobby Lobby picking out the frame, papers, and stickers. It was a lot of fun to make, but even more fun to start planning meals. So, I went through all my recipes and now have over 50 different options for meals. I got out my beloved label maker, made labels of our recipes, and put them on paper. On the flipside are ideas for side dishes, etc.

I didn't take a picture of the back of the frame, but I glued an envelope on the back that stores all of the recipe cards I'll be using for the week. Genius! Now, every weekend, Ijust sit down pull out a few little cards with side dishes already thought out and jot down the ingredients I need. It's a lot of fun because Amaya and Steve can pick out what they'd like to have too and we rotate the cards around so I'm not making the same thing over and over again. I also made little cards that have "Eat-Out" and "Left-overs." So on those days where I work, I can plan ahead a little bit and schedule left-overs for the night or prepare enough in advance and have Steve put something in the oven before I get home. Plus, it's been awesome on our budget because I'm prepared for those days when I don't feel like cooking. Menu planning made simple - and best yet - It works for us!!!