Thursday, February 21, 2013

Weston's Room

As most everyone knows, I was a wee bit stressed out that Weston's room wasn't finished before he arrived. I just wanted everything to be ready to go, but it didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things since he was going to camped out in our bedroom in the bassinet.

But now... it might be my favorite room in our house! Steve did a phenomenal job and it was a lot of work. We used the fourth bedroom primarily for storage and I'll admit - it was a disaster - especially when I started sorting Amaya's baby things and garage sale stuff. Oye... Anyway, the room was in need of some major work. I'm not exactly sure what the previous owners were thinking, but there were nail holes everywhere and in places that just really didn't make sense. (And unfortunately, this has been the case with the entire house). And the closet wasn't finished - no carpet, no baseboards, and just a simple board across for storage. We needed a new light fixture and I also wanted the outlets changed from beige to white. So, my wonderful husband - aka. electrician, painter, carpenter, and carpet layer - went to work!

When Weston was in the ISCN, the staff put his name up on his door and so Amaya wanted to do the same at home.


 Initially, I wanted to paint the room a cheerful yellow color, but Steve vetoed that idea and we chose a light blue. Caribbean Mist (I think). 


I found an incredible deal on bedding and accessories off of facebook. Included were the quilt, bumper pad, dust ruffle, garbage can, mobile, window valance, 5 wall hangings, nighlight, and outlet cover. 

Here's the mobile...


And one of the wall hangings... so cute!


Sorry this picture is a little dark... but this is where Weston and I spend a lot of time! 


Amaya went through her books to give to Weston - he's got a good start to his own little library!


Pardon the disorganization of little Weston's clothes - that's one of the projects I'm still in the middle of! Steve installed the closet system, put in new carpet, and did the baseboard trim. Still not sure why the previous owners didn't just finish it off, but it looks great now!


And lastly, the changing table.


Weston is still in the bassinet... Steve kicked Amaya out of the bassinet when she was 8 weeks old because she was banging the edges of the bassinet and keeping him awake. She was sleeping through the night with the exception of me feeding her around 3am. Weston is still waking up every 2-3 hours to eat, so until he's doing longer stretches, we won't transition him to the crib quite yet. I'll admit, I'm a little nervous with him on a different level of the house, but Steve is such a light sleeper - he will wake up to anything he hears on the baby monitor.

Thanks for touring Weston's room! And a bigger thank you to Steve for doing a wonderful job for our little guy! He continually amazes me with his home improvement skills!