Thursday, December 18, 2008

New Definition of Insanity

This past Tuesday night I decided to brave the weather and drive up to grad school. It took me an hour to drive from Rochester to downtown St. Paul, driving at normal highway speeds. From St. Paul to Bethel University's campus - a whopping 12 miles - it took me 2 HOURS AND 10 MINUTES. The roads were snow covered, but weren't really that bad. I think what happened was when the snow first started to fall, a few drivers didn't slow down enough and got into accidents, which caused traffic jams everywhere. Just in the stretch from St. Paul to Bethel, I saw 6 multi-car accidents and 3 cars in the ditch. I was listening to the traffic reports on the radio, and the reporters were having a difficult time even knowing where to start when listing all the accidents. One report said that in one particular area, there had been about 15 accidents in 15 minutes.

THEN... when I finally arrived at school (an hour late) I find out that the first class has about 5 minutes left and the second class has been shortened to one hour. In other words, I spent over 3 hours on the road to sit in class for about an hour! I should've suspected that we weren't going to accomplish much in class even if the class times had been their normal lengths since it was the last night of the semester.