Saturday, August 11, 2012

Choir Audition

Earlier this summer, there was a notice in our church bulletin asking for volunteers to audition for the church choir. On a typical service, we have a worship band with 4-5 singers, piano, guitars, drums, etc. But every quarter, both Steve and myself look forward to hearing the entire choir perform!

Growing up, I was in the children's choir and youth choir, and in college, I joined the Gospel Choir. And I played the violin for 4 years, so music has been a big part of my life. I love to sing - in the car, in the shower, cleaning, wherever and whenever. The problem is... I absolutely hate singing in front of anyone - with the exception of Amaya only because she thinks I'm the best singer in the world! :-) I've missed being a part of a choir and I felt God nudging my heart to audition.

My audition was on Wednesday evening, I was absolutely, positively TERRIFIED!! We have two music leaders and I would be auditioning in front of both of them. I was warned that I would have to do a little sight reading and some rhythm skills... but somehow that just made my anxiety level rise through the roof.

When I first got there, I was shown 20 different popular worship songs and was told to pick one to sing. Really? I have to pick a song on the spot? Which one would be the best for my voice? Which one did I know the best? I couldn't decide, so they picked, "Mighty to Save." - a song that I'm very familiar with and absolutely love.

First, Becky warmed me with with various scales to get a feel for my vocal range. She said, "You're definitely a soprano." Then she played four random notes together on the piano and I had to sing back each one. This was a little more challenging because the notes were so off the wall and at this point I was sweating profusely. And then... the sight reading... grrrr... I haven't looked at a sheet of music in over 14 years... I could find middle C... but oh boy... This was definitely NOT FUN! Finally, my performance of "Mighty to Save." I pretended I was in the car and belted out my best and was able to relax somewhat. I thought the worst was over, until the other worship leader, Don, took his crack at my vocal skills (or lack thereof). Now the rhythm part! I showed him I could clap and dance and sing at the same time and he was a little surprised and laughed pretty hard. When Becky and I had talked on the phone before the audition she said, "We need to make sure you can clap on 2 and 4 and move back and forth a little while singing." So... I showed Don my stuff! He meant a different kind of rhythm - singing difficult measures with rests in the middle, etc. Oh, well... at least he got a great laugh!

Finally, the audition was over. They told me earlier that they would call me the next day to let me know if I made the cut, so I was a little disappointed I'd have to wait. But as soon as I finished with the rhythm portion, Don said, "We don't need to call you tomorrow, we both agreed that you're in." To say I was little shocked would be an understatement. I know the level of talent that's within Christ Community, I'm just so excited to be a part of it!

Guess all that singing in the shower has paid off!!