Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lefse Making

Lefse is a soft, Norwegian flatbread and one of my many favorite things to make with my mom during the holidays. My mom does all the hard work - peeling the potatoes, running them through the ricer, and rolling out the dough. I'm just the griddle master and lefse flipper.

My mom and Amaya excited to start!

Mom has a special rolling pin with deep grooves in it and a long wooden turning stick to flip the lefse.

The griddle...

Amaya "helped" by giving my mom the dough...

She was more interested in playing in the flour than making lefse....

Amaya had most of the flour on her and on the kitchen floor! (Thank you Mom for letting her experiment and play!)

The finished product!

We like our lefse with butter and white sugar... others are a little more adventurous and spread ligonberry sauce on it! One of my old college friends made it with lutefisk and mashed potatoes... an interesting combination. (Although I've never had lutefisk, so I really shouldn't judge.) How do you like your lefse?