Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy 90th Birthday Grandma Struckmann!

Grandmas hold our tiny hands for just a little while, but our hearts forever. - Author Unknown

What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies. - Rudolph Giuliani

If your baby is "beautiful and perfect, never cries or fusses, sleeps on schedule and burps on demand, an angel all the time, " you're the grandma. - Teresa Bloomingdale

Today is a very special day for a very special woman - Steve's Grandma Struckmann. We are celebrating 90 years of her unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life, and of course - cookies! Tonight, we are planning on celebrating at Timberlodge and after dinner, going back to their house for angel food cake, ice cream, and opening presents.

On occasion, I've been known to tease Steve that I married him because of his family. (It's only partly true!) By marrying Steve, I was given not only the gift of becoming a wife, but I was able to be a granddaughter again. My mom's parents died when she was 13 and my dad's parents died several years ago, so I've missed having grandparents to call my very own.

I've been so blessed to know Grandma Struckmann and I am a better person for knowing her. She is an amazing woman who continues to live at home with her husband, makes supper for us every Friday night, continues to quilt and make clown dolls and frogs, puts together puzzles, plays chess on a daily basis (and often beats Grandpa!), delivers special goodies to her son every week, and more!

We're thankful each day we are able to spend with her. Amaya doesn't realize how good she has it - she has BOTH sets of grandparents within 5 miles AND great-grandparents within 10 miles!

Between the earth and sky above, nothing can match a grandmother's love. - Author Unknown