Sunday, August 24, 2008

International Breast Milk Project

Right now, I have over 100 ounces of frozen breast milk in the freezer. For the last few weeks, I've been considering donating my breast milk to an organization called the International Breast Milk Project (IBMP). I first heard of it from one of our dermatology residents. His wife is the executive director and founder of the organization. Their youngest daughter is a few weeks older than Amaya. Yesterday, there was an article in the newspaper about the IBMP receiving an award as runner up in the Social Venture Partner Minnesota's Social Entrepreneur's Cup. IBMP provides safe breastmilk to HIV/AIDS orphans in Africa and to critically ill infants in the US.

Click here to read the Post-Bulletin story about the IBMP.


Click here to visit the website for the IBMP.


I've filled out the online application and they have to run a few blood tests in order for me to be a donor. If accepted, all I have to do is pump, bag and freeze the milk, and they will come to my door and ship the milk. Amaya is still nursing and I'd like to continue until her first birthday, but I figure, if someone else's baby can benefit from my milk, why not help?