Monday, August 11, 2008

Grad School Update

I went to my grad school orientation last Thursday night. The Bethel campus is set in a beautiful location... it reminds me of Northwestern College (also in St. Paul) where my sister obtained her undergraduate degree. It only took me about an hour and a half to drive up, even with a little bit of stop-and-go traffic.

All of the professors seemed very nice, and very smart. Each professor, by way of introduction, mentioned where they received their doctorate, what they most enjoyed about teaching graduate students, and what their primary research interests were. One research interest that sort of resonated with me was that of Dr. Shawn Hofer -

Click here to view Dr. Hofer's picture on Bethel's website

- how a student's view of the image of God changes during the grad school program.

The orientation ended with a mock commencement ceremony. Providing the opportunity to visualize the completion of grad school was the perfect way to wrap up the night.

Overall, I was very, very impressed and I know I will be challenged and blessed while attending this school.