Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ow!

June 22nd, 2008

1:15 p.m. - Jan, Amaya and I were almost ready to leave Pender, Nebraska where we had been for a few days visiting Jan's sister Carol and her family. I realized I forgot our sunglasses in the house and so I ran back to the house to get them.

1:17 p.m. - I tripped on the stairs to the house and gashed open the bottom of my big toe on my left foot.

1:18 p.m. - OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

1:19 p.m. - Sitting in the bathroom, bleeding on the carpet, trying to not cry like a girl.

1:20 p.m. - Jan drives off to get medical supplies, while Carol leaves the bathroom so she doesn't pass out from the sight of blood.

1:25 p.m. - Jan returns with the medical supplies and bandages my poor toe.

1:45 p.m. - Leave Pender, NE for Rochester, MN. The pain won't let me fall asleep while driving (there is a silver lining in every cloud).

8:00 p.m. - Arrive in Rochester.

11:00 p.m. - After some thought and discussion, my wife decided that just to be safe, she should call Mayo Clinic's Nurse Line for advice about my toe. The nurse said we should go to the ER.

11:10 My parents arrived to watch Amaya while we went to the hospital.

11:21 p.m. - We arrived at the ER, and surprisingly enough, were seen right away.

11:25 p.m. - The X-Ray showed that nothing was broken, which I knew already. Duh!

2:00 a.m. - After nearly dying from the shot they gave me in my toe (Jan said I was turning red and shaking) and enduring a tetanus shot, they let us go home.

2:15 a.m. - We arrived home with a fancy new shoe to wear on my left foot.

2:30 a.m. - After I took a prescribed painkiller and antibiotic, we went to bed.

2:30 a.m. to today - Hobble everywhere!