Thursday, April 10, 2008

Grandma Lois, Mother Eunice

I've been attending a Women's Bible Study called Cafe Agape at our church and we've been studying the books of 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus. Today we had a discussion about Timothy's character, upbringing, and family. We were looking at these verses today:

"You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them,and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus." 2 Timothy 3:14-15 (NASB)

Earlier in 2 Timothy we learned that Timothy's grandmother Lois and mother Eunice were of deep faith.

"For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am sure that it is in you as well." 2 Timothy 1:5 (NASB).

What struck us all was that Timothy was taught the gospel and teachings of Jesus during his childhood and look what he was called to do later in life! Now that I'm a parent, these verses mean even more to me now that Steve and I are responsible for teaching Amaya about faith in God and His gift of salvation. It may begin with teaching her songs like "The B-I-B-L-E" and "Jesus Loves Me" or taking her to Awanas or church camp, but what an impact we have as parents!

What it also makes me thankful for is growing up in a Christian home and to have wonderful parents who brought me to church and taught me about God. And now when I sing, "This Little Light of Mine" to Amaya I'm reminded of the faith of my parents and grandparents and the generations to come.

"Train up a child in the way he should go,even when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6 (NASB)

- Jan