Saturday, April 19, 2008

Back to Work

The day begins with my alarm clock going off at 4:45am. Surprisingly, I'm able to get out of bed without hitting the snooze button (especially after getting about 4 1/2 hours of sleep). Too much on my mind. It was a little more difficult getting out the door. Uniform - check, Badge - check, Lunch - check, Breast pump - check, Bottles - check, Kleenex -check. I think I remembered everything!

My friend, Connie, is working with me today and made chocolate chip cookies. She makes the most wonderful cookies - underbaked just right! She's quite the talker, so she's been most helpful keeping my mind off Amaya. I've only cried twice and I've resisted calling home to see if everything is going okay. However, Steve has already called to see how I was doing.

My sister, Carol, gave a wonderful devotional at one of my baby showers and talked about cherishing your child's "lasts." The last time you rock them to sleep, the last time they fit into their newborn clothes, the last time they crawl, etc... True, I'm going to miss all of her "lasts," especially as she's changing so much - but I'm more afraid of missing her "firsts." The first time she giggles, the first time she crawls, the first time she takes a step, etc. Okay, I'm not going to think about that...

I'm working in our ultraviolet light room today. It's going to be a steady day today and not too crazy. I'm trying to remember passwords, where to chart, etc. For now, it's coming back to me pretty quickly, but I'm a little rusty. My first patient comes in another half an hour or so and then I'll be busy for the rest of the day.

Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me! I've definitely felt the prayers this morning!

-Jan