Friday, December 14, 2012

Remaining Stable

I've been so busy laying on my left side, taking multiple trips to the bathroom, reading books, watching a little TV, taking naps, and on Pinterest, I completely forgot about updating our blog on my appointments this week. I just got an e-mail today from a friend (who isn't on Facebook and doesn't get my updates) asking about whether little Wes was born, so I figured I'd better add "Updating the Blog" to my VERY BUSY schedule! (Can you sense my sarcasm there?!?)

Monday's appointment went well for the most part. Mom came with me to offer support especially with my amniotic fluid being so low the previous week, I was more anxious about this appointment. Both my mom and I were shocked to learn that my fluid levels had increased from 6.5cm on Thursday to 12cm!! What an answer to prayer! The sonographer also did a growth measurement and Weston now weights 4lbs 11oz! (Amaya was 5lbs 10oz when she was born, so we can handle little babies!) My blood pressure was still 140/98, so Dr. Harms decided to bump up the dosage on my blood pressure medication in the morning with hopes that my diastolic number would come down a little more. Overall, it was a good appointment, but Dr. Harms said that my case intrigues him and that I still make him a nervous. But, the best news of all - I asked him if I could go to Amaya's Christmas Program at church that evening and he said, "YES!" (More on her program later...)

Thursday's appointment I was originally scheduled to meet with one of the midwives because Dr. Harm's schedule was full. Mom and Dad took Amaya to Lydia's program at school, so I was by myself, but I wasn't quite as anxious about this appointment. My fluid levels remained stable at 11.7cm!! Another answer to prayer!! My blood pressure was 130/86!! Yet another answer to prayer! They were going to check another urine sample and as I went out in the hall, Dr. Harms saw me and said, "Jan, you're not on my calendar." I explained that his calendar was full and that I was planning on seeing a midwife. He told me, "No. I need to see you today." YAY!! There's just something about Dr. Harms that makes me relax and I am so thankful for him and his expertise. And since my numbers looked so good, I didn't have to do a urine sample. It's was a very short consultation because everything looked so good. And this was the very first time that Dr. Harms had any hope that we just might make it to 37 weeks. There's a little bit of wiggle room with the dose of my blood pressure medication, but he's a little hesitant to increase it anymore. So, for now... we press on... most likely I'll have a urine sample and blood work done next week just to make sure that nothing is brewing. Despite all my numbers within normal limits, there's still a chance that I could develop preeclampsia.

I have much more peace this week. Knowing that Wes is nearly 5 pounds and that I've hit all the critical weeks, I can relax a little. If he was born today, he may still need to be in the NICU, but with each day that passes the chances are getting greater and greater that he just may need a few days in the special care nursery and even better yet, come home with us. Five weeks of bed rest done... only 3 more to go!