Sunday, December 9, 2012

Preparing...

I received the best phone call last evening from the OB I saw on Thursday. She called with the results of my blood work and 24 hour urine collection!! Drum roll, please.... it was all NORMAL! PRAISE GOD!! I meet with Dr. Harms tomorrow after my ultrasound and we'll see what he's going to do with me. I'm hoping and praying that my amniotic fluid index is is the acceptable range and that my blood pressure cooperates. My mom is planning on going to the appointment with me for support and to calm my nerves.

Today I'm 33 weeks and 4 days... and my goal is 37 weeks (January 2nd)! I'm just so, so close... But, with that being said, I'm trying to mentally and physically prepare myself for Dr. Harms to say "let's cash in our chips," "we're done," or "let's have a baby today."

So... I started packing my hospital bag today... I have to add a few more things, but I've got my list all set to go. My dear friend, Jen was so thoughtful and bought me a "BIRTH DAY" bag a couple weeks ago filled with all sorts of goodies to help make labor a little more enjoyable... a journal, a CD of relaxing music, chocolate, NERDS for Steve, chapstick, lotion, tic tacs, slipper socks, tea, and coffee. She's the best! And my old college roommate and friend, Meredith (who completely understands the challenges of bed rest having experienced it herself), sent me a few essential things to help the whole nursing process along. So, I've got those things in my bag ready to go too.

The nursery hasn't been started, but little Wes will be spending a couple of months with us in the bassinet in our bedroom, so that's okay if he's here and it's not quite done. All of his clothes are washed and put away and we've got diapers, wipes, and all my nursing supplies ready - so if he made his appearance early, we can make it work.

I also got "most" of my Christmas shopping done - just stocking stuffer gifts left - and all of the wrapping is done. We're not going to be doing Christmas cards this year - it will be a birth announcement instead! Steve and Amaya picked out a gorgeous Premium Frasier Fir tree yesterday -  our house smells incredible and the tree is very, very full! They plan to work on decorating it later this afternoon while I lay on the couch and "observe." It is truly going to be a test of my willpower to resist the temptation to help decorate... but it will be beautiful when they get it done. Plus, we got our first snowfall last night - not as much as I would like - but it's gorgeous nevertheless. So, it's beginning to feel like Christmas after all.

While we're preparing for the birth of our SON (it's still hasn't quite sunk in)... I've been thinking a lot about Mary and how she prepared for the birth of her SON... what it must have felt like for a virgin to be carrying the SAVIOR! With each kick and flutter... she was reminded that she was Jesus' mother! Unreal... As much as I feel anxious and uncertain, I can't even begin to imagine what was going through Mary's mind and heart at the time... but somehow, I see her as having much more peace... And that's what I hope to have these next few days and weeks... I hope to have peace...