Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Nancy

When Amaya was just a few days old, Steve and I bundled her up for her very first outing to Wal-Mart. I was going stir crazy in the house, and even though it was very cold, windy, and snowing, I needed to get out! We bought a few groceries and the check out lady reprimanded me for bringing a newborn baby out in the cold, yet still oohed and ahhed over our precious little girl. Once I told her I was going crazy inside, she completely understood. Ever since then, on our weekly grocery trips, we always check out with her - our Nancy.

It's amazing how God brings people into your life. You may not know the reason or the purpose. But I honestly believe that God brought Nancy into our lives for a reason. For nearly 5 years, she has watched Amaya grow, spoil her tremendously with Christmas and birthday gifts, supported us through many surgeries, hospitalizations, and now my pregnancy. Nancy is much more than just our check out lady, she's become a part of our family.

About a month ago on a regular grocery run, Nancy pulled me aside and told me that she was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. For the last several weeks, she's had multiple appointments at the clinic to evaluate the extent of the disease. Unfortunately, she has the most aggressive form of lung cancer and it's most common among smokers. There is a 3x3cm mass in her right lung and one smaller mass in her left and surgery is not an option, nor will it ever be. However, we can be thankful that the cancer hasn't spread. She met with her oncologist today and the prognosis isn't good - she has about 15-20 months and that includes treatment with chemotherapy and radiation. If she chose not to treat the cancer, her oncologist said that he would be surprised if she made it through Christmas. Our Nancy is very stubborn and very determined and today she told me, "I've got a little baby boy that I have to meet in January, so I'm going to fight with all I've got!" Her first chemotherapy treatment was today and she said it went okay, but within a few short weeks, she'll lose all her hair. She and her daughter, Angie, were going wig shopping this afternoon and it wouldn't surprise me if our blond Nancy decided to be a redhead! :-)

My heart aches for both Nancy and Angie and I ask for your prayers for the two of them. They know that we go to church regularly and they've asked me to pray for them, but I honestly can't say that I know where either of them stand with Jesus. Angie's son attended our church's summer camp and had a blast, so I know he's been exposed to Christianity... but as far as Nancy and Angie go... who knows? I have to believe that God placed them in our lives for some purpose... whether it's merely to support them and walk with them through cancer, or lead them to Christ... I just don't know. I'm scared for them... Angie is only 41 and I can't imagine what she must be thinking and feeling to have less than 2 years with her mom... I just can't imagine... and I can't imagine what Nancy must be going through knowing that her time here on earth is limited...

Here's how you can be praying boldly for Nancy and Angie:

1) Nancy - prayers for ultimate healing - I'm asking for a miracle here - that she would be able to tolerate the chemo and radiation without difficulty. Prayers that she would maintain her fighting spirit. Prayers for her finances - she's already been behind on mortgage payments - so the medical bills are going to be overwhelming for her. Allow others to take care of her. Come to know Christ as her Savior.

2) Angie - prayers for STRENGTH as she helps her mom (she's already very weary and needing rest) - to be able to get the time off from work (she also works at Wal-Mart) to take her mom to appointments. Allow others to take care of her. Come to know Christ as her Savior.

3) Steve, Jan, and Amaya - that we may support and encouragement their family in whatever way we can (physically, emotionally, financially, or spiritually) and that we may walk boldly in our faith and share the hope and love with Christ with them.