Saturday, November 3, 2012

OB Triage Visit

Yesterday, we had a little bit of excitement (and not the good kind). I woke up with a headache - I get headaches a lot so this was nothing really out of the ordinary - but this time my headache didn't go away with Tylenol. It was a busy morning at work - which is also nothing out of the ordinary - but I still wasn't feeling very good. I took more Tylenol in the afternoon, and right before I left work, I had one of my co-workers check my blood pressure.... 152/98! My norm is 110-120/70-80.

Dad picked me up from work, I texted Steve, and off we went to spend our Friday night at Methodist Hospital in the OB Triage Unit. My initial blood pressure was 155/104, but after several hours it did get back down to 126/80. The nurse had my hooked up to monitor to check out little Weston - and he was doing just fine - Praise God!! They took some bloodwork and a urine sample - everything came back normal. Today I'm doing a 24 hour urine collection for them to process and see if there is any protein in the urine. Basically, they are checking to see if I have preeclampsia, but with normal lab results this far, it's unlikely at this point.

We left a little after 4 hours of monitoring... there was an emergency C-section just shortly after I came in... and those little babes come first... but Steve and I got a little alone time and had dinner and watched a movie. What an awesome date night! (NOT!) Anyway, most likely, I have pregnancy induced hypertension that will go away when little Weston is born, but the jury is still out until I meet with Dr. Harms on Wednesday. (I had high blood pressure towards the end of my pregnancy with Amaya, and was induced at 38 weeks - but I'm only 28 weeks now! Weston has a lot longer to cook!) The OB residents I saw were just fine, but we left with a lot of questions - what caused my blood pressure to spike? what can I do to keep it down? when do I need to come in - every time I have a headache unrelieved with Tylenol? what does this mean for the rest of my pregnancy? Grr... We hope to have more answers on Wednesday... until then... I'm resting, drinking lots of fluids, and trying to keep my stress level low...