Saturday, July 21, 2012

2nd Trimester!

I'm 13 weeks, 3 days along and I'm feeling much, much better. On the days that I work, I'm much more tired, and besides the heartburn, occasional dizziness, and racing heart (all of which are normal pregnancy symptoms) I feel pretty good.

On Thursday, I had a check up with a different doctor since my OB doctor was on vacation. (I suppose since he's one of the best OB doctors in the nation and wrote the Mayo Clinic Healthy Pregnancy Book - he deserves a vacation) Typically, at this appointment, it's just a quick listen to the heartbeat and measure my stomach to make sure the baby is growing. But... since I had a doctor who had never laid eyes on me or the baby, he asked, "Do you mind if I bring in the portable ultrasound so I can take a quick look at the baby?" DO I MIND? Really? OF COURSE YOU CAN!!!

As soon as he got the ultrasound on my stomach, I could make out the spine and see two little legs kicking!) The doctor told me he thought I had a gymnast on my hands because the baby was doing a headstand with the legs kicking in the air! And just as soon as he said that, the baby did a little flip and went right back to doing another headstand! The baby is about the size of a lemon - measuring 3 1/2 inches long. So far, we're right on track and the baby is "as healthy as can be and quite active" (I was a little disappointed that Steve wasn't with... we thought it was going to be an uneventful appointment... oh well...)

We have our anatomy ultrasound scheduled on August 28th and hope to find out whether the baby is a boy or girl. Either way, we're going to be thrilled! It will be a long 6 weeks to wait to see this little baby again!