Friday, September 4, 2009

Restaurants in the Black Hills

We ate out more than I had originally planned on while in the Black Hills. My parents bought Steve a camp stove several years ago, so I've become somewhat proficient at using it. We brought it along "just in case" I had a strong desire to cook, but ended up going out most of the time.

The first restaurant we went to was in Hill City called, Desparados. It was a cowboy style restaurant with real live cowboys with spurs and guns! It was pretty neat to see them dressed up, however Amaya was a little scared by them. We enjoyed our supper - Steve had Fettucine Alfredo, I had ribs, and Amaya had a grilled cheese sandwich. What absolutely FLOORED us, was when I looked to the next table across from us and, I SAW MY OLD BIBLE STUDY LEADER FROM CHURCH! WHAT?!? What a small world! I wish I could have captured the expression on her face when I went over to say hi! She was flabbergasted! Steve and I run into people we know all the time in Rochester, but in the Black Hills?!? Amazing...

The second restaurant we tried in Hill City was called, "The Bumpin' Buffalo." We actually liked this restaurant so much, we went back twice. The food was incredible, the atmosphere was great, and it wasn't too expensive.

On our way back from the Black Hills, we stopped in Murdo, only to find that they didn't have much of a restaurant selection. We ended up going to a "mom and pop diner" called, "The Diner." The food was great and we met some interesting characters. You just never know who you're going to run into on vacation...