Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Swimming Class

It's been awhile... we're still adjusting to our new schedule and activities, but we're doing really good. Steve's health continues to improve and really enjoys his grad school internship. I'm continuing to love my new job in allergy and am enjoying my new Bible study group. Amaya is thriving at Grandma and Grandpa Gustafson's when I'm working, loves preschool (once she's eaten and has woken up a little), and loves, loves, loves her swimming class.

We've been taking the swimming classes offered through Community Education. It's a great program because the kids can get a little taste of an activity without putting in a lot of commitment, time, and money. This is the one class that she absolutely loves and is worth every penny!

The previous week was the first week that Amaya has been resisting me hold her. She's determined she wants to swim "by herself!" Her teacher encouraged me to just let her go and she what she could do. Tentatively, I let her go... and she went under and tried to doggie paddle, but she couldn't quite get herself back up. So... we keep trying... and she keeps getting braver. This week, her teacher wanted her to demonstrate to the class how to float on her back. She really does this skill very well, probably because she practices in the bath tub! In the pool, I hold her underneath her shoulders, tell her to pretend to take a nap, and look up at the ceiling and lo and behold she floats - with a little help from me. It's very hard not to be proud of her and think that we've got the next Michael Phelps on hands! She's very comfortable in the water and I think it helps that we've enrolled her in this class four times and will continue to keep her in it until she can have formal lessons on her own (plus it's a good work out for me as well!) Unfortunately, we've only got two more weeks of class left... but she's pretty excited because she'll start up gymnastics again in November!