Sunday, February 28, 2010

Missing Steve...

The last two nights, I've had to sleep alone.... after nearly 5 years of marriage, Steve and I spent our first night apart on Friday. Steve had been experiencing some abdominal pain for the past week and half, so we decided to go to the ER on Friday to get it checked out. After 8 hours in the ER, a few blood draws, and a couple CT scans later, they admitted Steve to the hospital. He's doing as well as can be - very little pain and getting a little bored. (Thank goodness for the Olympics, right?) Anyway, it's been a rather stressful couple of days worrying about Steve and shuttling Amaya between her grandparents, the hospital, and home. And unfortunately, it's my scheduled weekend to work, and I'm very torn about working with Steve in the hospital, but so far nothing emergent has happened. I may have been awarded the Employee of the Month, but I certainly don't feel like Wife or Mother of the Month...

Friday night I spent at my parents. Since Amaya was already there and it was going to be well past her bedtime by the time I got back from the hospital, we figured it would be easier for me to spend the night and let Amaya sleep undisturbed. It was going to be a short night anyway, but with Amaya tossing and turning, snoring, and talking in her sleep... I ended up on the couch with very few hours of sleep. I missed Steve, but not nearly as much as last night. After work I picked up Amaya from my parents and we spent the evening with Steve. We were able to have dinner with him, color some pictures for him, go for a walk, and Amaya even got to play "hide and seek" with Grandpa and Grandma Horning! Amaya was FASCINATED by Steve's nurses. She watched them very intently and Steve and I both thought we may have another nurse or a doctor on our hands. She was pretty tired when we got home and went to bed without asking for another Dora story. After I crawled into bed, it was very, very quiet. Steve wasn't around to talk to, he wasn't there to kiss me good-night, he wasn't there to hog the covers, he wasn't there to tell me to roll over when I snored too much... it just wasn't right. I needed Steve to be there with me. I had a good cry... thought about getting Amaya and bringing her into bed with me to snuggle with me... then remembered how she tossed and turned, snored, and talked in her sleep... and then I crashed and fell asleep.

We'll visit Steve again tonight and hope to know some more information from the doctors. They'll evaluate him on Monday and decide then if he's ready to come home. We're praying that he's able to come home quick! Thank you to everyone who has been praying and for those that have helped us out this weekend!