Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Welcome to Winter!

From the NOAA website:

"A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE AREA THIS MORNING AS A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVES NORTHEAST TOWARD THE REGION.

THIS PRECIPITATION MAY BE IN THE FORM OF LIGHT SNOW...SLEET... FREEZING RAIN OR DRIZZLE. THERE MAY BE A LIGHT GLAZING OF ICE WITH THIS. AS A RESULT...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY WILL BE IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON.

BY THIS AFTERNOON...THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD BECOME MAINLY SNOW... AND THIS IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE INTO TONIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE."

I know that there are those of you who do not like snow, or cold, or who wish it were summer all the time. I like the winter! One of the great things about this part of the country is the four distinct seasons - as opposed to 2 or 3 in other places.

In the winter, I like waking up on a Saturday morning and seeing 6 inches of snow on the ground - call me crazy, but I like shoveling. It's fun to be outside even in the cold.

I like listening to the rain on the roof in the spring. The sounds of thunder that make you jump out of bed at night are fun too.

In the summer, I like going outside without a coat, and walking, riding bike, playing basketball at the hoop by the garage and quite a few other things that are more difficult to do when it's cold out.

Living in a part of the state that is pretty densely forested (especially in and around Rochester), it is very enjoyable to watch the trees change from green to yellow, red, orange and brown. I enjoy getting the yard ready for winter - the pile of leaves this year was about chest high and maybe 10 feet across at the base. I'll post pictures soon.

-- Steve