Sunday, February 5, 2012

Roller Coaster Weekend

On Thursday evening, my co-worker passed away after fighting a 12 year battle against cancer. Her health had deteriorated over the past few months and she knew after Christmas that she didn't have much time left. Taking the advice of her oncologist, she started hospice care at home on Monday. That was the last time most of my co-workers and I saw her... Words cannot begin to express how much she meant to me... She was one of my preceptors when I started in the allergy department and one of the first things she said to me was, "I have cancer, but please don't treat me like I have cancer." She was a fighter... she was stubborn... and she wasn't going to give up. Her will and her determination are to be desired...

On Saturday, our family participated in the Frozen Goose 5K run/walk supporting Mayo Clinic research for childhood cancer and Brighter Tomorrows. We celebrated our nephew, Ben's victory against leukemia. I wish every cancer story had a happy ending. Mike and Arwen are very involved with Brighter Tomorrows and it was fun to support them and celebrate Ben's healing, especially in light of the previous events.

Later that evening, we celebrated Cooper's 4th birthday! I still have a hard time imagining that 4 years ago, we graduated from prenatal classes together and entered parenthood. In the midst of temper tantrums, time-outs, and disobedience... I'll take each and every day with a heart of gratitude and thankfulness to our Lord and Savior for blessing us with Amaya. And I'm so thankful to God for planting Steve and Jen in our life and for the friendship we share.

Over the past several days, I've been fervently praying for a member of our church, who is also battling with cancer. I have had the privilege of being in a few Bible Studies with her and she is a living testimony of God's faithfulness. She has been instrumental in the development of my faith and has been a constant prayer warrior, supporter, and encourager especially while Steve was sick. This week has been a very difficult week for her physicially and emotionally as they have switched gears and are now looking at hospice care at home.

Today was my co-worker's visitation... the funeral is tomorrow... My heart grieves for those that don't know Jesus... Where is the hope? This weekend, my emotions have been all over the place and I can only relate it as to being on a roller coaster. Lots of ups... lots of downs.... While I don't always understand God's purpose and I really don't understand cancer.... I'm just along for the ride and trusting that God is good and that He has a bigger plan.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God to them who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28