Tuesday, September 20, 2011

United Way Kick Off

Mayo Clinic has been raising money for United Way for over 20 years, and this year, I volunteered to be the Division of Allergic Diseases advocate for United Way. Today was the big ole' kick off and I sat at one of the booths for an hour trying to get the word out to start pledging. I really, really, don't like asking for money and I am sympathetic to those who just don't have the monetary means to give, but I figured being an advocate would be a great way to give back to our community.

This week I'm busy organizing a bake sale to be held next Tuesday and while it's a little overwhelming, I continue to pray for my colleagues to be willing to donate baked goods and also to be willing to EAT them! Also, praying that we have a good turn out! The bonus is that it's a great opportunity for me to go through my recipes and try out a few new ones. While I'm nervous about how it will turn out, I am reassured that any amount of money we can donate will be put to good use.

I'm also planning a chili cook-off in October. I'm hoping that the other advocate will want to take the lead on this event, but for now... one step at a time!