Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nurse's Day!

I knew that I'd forget something this week - it's Nurse's Day tomorrow! Somehow, my mom never forgets to send me a card - thanks Mom! I learned how to take care of people by watching you! Our celebration at work starts tomorrow and extends into next week.

Growing up, I loved being cared for by my mom. She'd get me all snuggled in on the couch with the remote or a book, take my temperature, give me medicine, cool me off with washcloths, give me popsicles, etc. I watched my mom take care of us kids and my dad, and I wanted to do the same someday. And since my mom and my beloved great aunt Gertie were nurses, it seemed like the most natural thing in the world for me to chose nursing as a profession.

Most days, I love being a nurse. I love taking care of and serving my patients. I love being needed when patient's are at their worst. I love seeing my patient's health improve. I love them depending on me for their care.

And working at Mayo Clinic is an absolutely blessing! I hope I never take this for granted. I'm reminded of so many patients who have travelled hundreds - even thousands of miles to get treated at Mayo Clinic. So many have been seen by multiple physicians and can't get a correct diagnosis or treatment plan, and they come here more often than not as a last resort. I'm glad that I am able to be an important role in their care and give them a sense of hope.

So to all of my nursing friends, co-workers, and family members - HAPPY NURSE'S DAY!!