Saturday, July 4, 2009

Febrile Seizure and a Trip to the ER

It's been a rough couple of days. Steve and I went out on a date night Thursday and left Amaya with mom and dad. They called a few hours later and said that she had a really high fever and not quite herself, so we thought that maybe we should go pick her up. She's been running fevers off and on related to teething since Wednesday night, but at 12:45am Friday morning, Steve heard Amaya do this weird cough/cry thing and when he called for me, she was shaking and drooling and her eyes starting doing this weird eye-rolling thing and then went unresponsive. Steve called 911 while I tried to arouse her (she never stopped breathing and her heart didn't stop, but this was one of my biggest fears). I checked a rectal temp and she was 104.9! It was probably the scariest moment ever. I'm still trying to get the image out of my head because we both thought we were losing her. The ambulance and fire truck came so quickly and said that she had a febrile seizure. The seizure only lasted about a minute, but it felt like much longer. She didn't have to be transported by the ambulance because she was arousable and snapping out of the postictal stage. We then headed to the ER to have her fully evaluated. The MDs said that this is more common than people think, but that the chances of her having another one were slim and that 1 of 25 kids between 6 months and 3 years old experience this. Because her fever was so high, they checked a urine sample and that came out just fine. She's still having off and on fevers, but nothing nearly quite as bad. We're alternating tylenol and ibuprofen and checking her about 50 times a night. Please pray that her fevers would go away and please be praying for me and Steve. I am still struggling quite a bit with the images and replaying what I should have done, could have done, etc. I feel more pressure because I'm a nurse and I should know what to do, but I really panicked when this happened. Everyone has reassured me that this is normal when it's your own child, but still...